Life is about decision making. We are where we are by the choices we make. Our decisions are one of the few things we can control. Our decisions determine the story we write with our life. This series is about making good decisions for your spiritual life because we never just coast into spiritual maturity. We need to intentionally decide to go there.
When it comes to your spiritual life, what story do you want to tell? What story do you want told?
Jesus said, “Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.” (Matthew 5:48). He is not saying don’t make mistakes. He is saying be complete, be mature, make the decision to grow.
- A theological term meaning a continual and progressive change in character to become more like Jesus.
- Growth that is continual and ongoing. There is always a next for you no matter where you are at on the spiritual spectrum.
3 Ways you can grow spiritually:
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
- Decisions in your behavior
- Do not conform to the pattern of this world. Do life different than most. As Jesus followers we have a different code of ethics.
- Our stories are determined by our choices in behavior. Our story, our pursuits should create distinction. (Philippians 3:20)
- The pattern of this world is sin. Sin is anything that goes against God. Sin is always to the detriment of our spiritual life. (Ephesians 2:1-2; Genesis 4:7)
- 3 Questions to ask yourself when making decisions in your behavior:
- Does it line up with God’s word?
- Does it better a relationship in my life?
- Does it tell the story I want told?
- If you can answer yes to all three then you are good to go. If you can’t, take notice of the no.
- Decisions in how you think
- Be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Our thoughts have massive power over our lives. What we dwell upon determines who we become.
- We take every thought captive (2 Corinthians 10:5). This is completely possible (Psalm 46:10).
- The Lord’s prayer is perfect in helping us take our thoughts captive. (Matthew 6:9-13).
- As someone thinks within himself so he is.(Proverbs 23:7; Philippians 4:8). Choose to think differently.
- 3 Questions to ask yourself when making decisions in your thinking:
- Does it line up with God’s word?
- Does it bring clarity?
- Does it bring peace to my soul?
- If you can answer “yes” to all three then you are good to go. If you can’t, take notice of the “no.”
- Decisions in where you find security
- Thenyou will be able to test and approve what God’s will is. God’s will is discovered after you make decisions about your behavior and about the way you think. The two previous choices dictate how you will position yourself to discover, hear, and walk in God’s will for your life.
- His will is good, pleasing, and perfect. That’s how we attain what Jesus said when He said “be perfect.”
- 3 Questions to ask when making decisions about your security:
- Am I finding security in temporal things?
- Am I feeling insecure in any area?
- Am I wishing life were different?
- If you answered yes to one or all three you need to go back to changing your decisions on your behavior and thinking since security is an outflow of these two things.
- Psalm 112:6-8
- You will find deep security in God where nothing can shake you. No matter what comes your way you are strong, secure, and complete. You are perfect just like your heavenly Father is.
- Make the decisions today to start writing the story you want to tell.