Read Romans 12:9-21
These verses are the basis of what practical living for a Christian looks like. They give insight to the practical aspects of love in our lives. They are a list of things we all can aspire to.
It’s been said you can destroy your life with one wrong decision. What would that decision be for you?
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. (vs. 21)
In this verse Paul gives us the answer in how to never succumb to that one dreadful decision. Overcome means defeated or overwhelmed. To allow something to get the better of you.
Two ways we can apply this statement:
- With Others
- When we respond to evil with evil we add to it.
- Great incident to illustrate the antithesis to this – 2 Kings 6:8-23.
- The best way to get rid of an enemy is to turn them into a friend.
- Our most powerful weapon against evil is good.
- We lose when we retaliate against evil.
- With Ourselves
- This is the one thing that could destroy your life. (1 Cor 6:12)
- When we are overcome by evil, when we are mastered by something, we replace God in our lives. Scripture tells us this is idolatry. Idolatry is when we believe that something other than God will fulfill us more than God.
- There are many ways that we can be personally overcome by evil. They include:
- Addictions – The things that control our choices more than we truly want or at times admit. (1 Cor. 10:13-14)
- Anger – If you don’t deal with anger it begets more anger in your life. (Eph 4:26-27; James 1:19-20)
- Resentment – This is an unforgiving heart towards someone else for something they did to you. (John 16:33)
Being overcome by evil is hard. Overcoming evil with good is hard. Choose your hard.
How do we overcome evil with good?
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is – His good, pleasing and perfect will. (Romans 12:2)
- Good is an intentional choice of the heart. Good comes down to an attitude before it ever becomes an action.
- Transformed refers to a metamorphosis that occurs. A change of form or nature of a person into a completely different one, by supernatural means.
- You start with a shift in attitude, which lands a shift in your heart, which lands a shift in your actions.
- Persistence is how you build resistance.